Thursday, September 29, 2005

Beating us at our own game. . .

Lucas learns some things too quickly for his own good. We have been trying to use "time-out" as a bit of discipline. Usually after repeatedly ignored requests, Lucas finds himself in his little chair for a minute or two. We are hoping to get his attention in a constructive way. A good ol' spanking is warranted if he is getting himself into danger (running into the road, into the lake, etc.), but spankings quickly lose effectiveness. Anyway, we want him to think about his course of action or lack of action. So far, it's not working too well.

He loves to mess with any buttons, but the television buttons are irresistible. We tell him "no" and ask him to "do something else." Eventually, we try using the time-out chair to teach the lesson. Until yesterday, I actually thought that he had made absolutely no connection between the act and the punishment. Yesterday, he walked over to the television, and held up his little hand. He was inching closer to the button while keeping a close eye on Mommy. Chris told him, "No, no." Then, to our surprise, he quickly pushed the button, and then ran over and sat in his time-out chair. So, I guess he gets it. . .sort of. . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Grandma:
I just love reading about Lucas and all his latest discoveries and learning curves. It makes me smile whenever I read the blog because it helps me feel like I'm right there with you.

Love, Grandma

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Matt & Chris, I love the blog. It is fun to read about Lucas since we don't get to see you very often. I love the story about the water park. I can still remember him at Sea World in Florida running through all the water activities while Calvin stood back afraid to get his face wet. We love ya and hope to see ya soon! Trese S

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home